Monday, March 27, 2017

December 13, 2016

Hey Mom and Dad,
How was your week? Mine has been great, we've had a great week here in
Cali, I love being here on my mission, I remember in my blessings that
it was mentioned several times that I would enjoy my mission, and I
have totally felt that, just everyday, it's amazing. Anyway, I'll get
into my bulk now,

Hello everyone, have you all had a great week? Mine here has been
great, we have been able to do a lot. We met with Ibtihal and her
family again, and they have loved coming to Church, and want to keep
coming every week, they're awesome. We've also continued to meet with
Dan and his family, their great too, the main problem is that it's
hard for them to understand the Arabic writing because Arabic is their
second language. Nubian is actually their first, and they can read
that great, and it also doesn't help that a) the Arabic written
language is actually different than the spoken language. It has many
different words, and different conjugations and things, then add to
that the fact that the Book of Mormon is in a super formal version of
the language. We have native Iraqi speakers who have a difficult time
understanding it, because that formal of Arabic is really only written
in religious texts, so if their not familiar with that, its hard. But
he's so awesome, he's trying super hard to read and understand it,
even though he gets basically nothing out of it, he still tries. We're
going to be taking all of them to see the Lights at the San Diego
Temple this Saturday Night, I haven't been yet, but I've heard their
great, so that'll be fun.  We had our ward Christmas breakfast this
past Saturday, we brought them and another Syrian family to that, they
all had a great time, and it was super good. I'm getting better at
Arabic, it's still hard to speak but I can understand a lot more of
what's going on. Anyway, ya, things have been great, it's been an
awesome week, have a good one,
Elder Rosenbalm


So mom, I've been emailing, Dax and Jake, but don't get their bulk,
which I would like, I've told them about it, but nothing so far. I'm
feeling great, as I said, Arabic's coming. It's hard, but I just got
to keep going. I don't feel like I'm learning as fast as I should, but
it's ok. What do you mean the dynamics? In what? Yes, we stop tons of
people on the streets, we usually go street contact for about an hour
a day, the whole mission does it, and that's how we get most of our
investigators, actually, that's how we get almost all of our
investigators, either from us talking to people, or referrals from
other missionary's, who talk to people who talk who speak Arabic. So
we teach everyone who can, including Muslims, and we do have to teach
them a little differently. The mission rules are, that we can't extent
commitments, until they have had a meeting with one of the Mission
Presidency, who basically just make sure that they aren't going back
to the Middle East. But once that has happened, we can start
committing them. We just had that with Ibtihal last week, so we can
start actually asking her to do stuff, instead of just being like:
this is the Book of Mormon, it's a really good book, you can totally
read it if you want, it'll bless your life. But anyway, So my
companion's leaving, and what we're thinking is that an Elder named
Elder Jensen will come back. There are five Arabic Elders right now,
and he's been out of Arabic work the longest, so he'll probably come
back until he goes home in July. What we're thinking is that he'll
come here with me, and then probably train before he leaves, possibly
trio-training someone with me. We'll see. We only study Arabic for an
hour a day, which is quite hard. We have one hour of personal, one of
comp, one of Language, and then one of something called the first
twelve weeks, basically, my training, but that'll end in a few weeks,
and that'll be nice, more time to work. Yes I have a notebook, and am
studying a lot, but I should study more. Umm, so my old Journal, I
left there, but there are some things that I want on their, would you
mind sending it to me? Also, how do you get the brown rings around the
collar off, just bleach? For Christmas, I don't care about whose
there, whatever you want. And I'll get back to you on the time. Love
you both, you're the best parents ever
Elder Rosenbalm

No comments:

Post a Comment